Follow Merseyside Police

Four sentenced after kidnap and assualt of man in Huyton

News   •   Apr 17, 2019 11:05 BST

We have welcomed the sentencing of four males to more than 40 years in custody after a man was kidnapped and beaten in Huyton in July 2018.

At around 6.30pm on 27 July, officers attended a property in Woodhurst Close to reports a man had been kidnapped and assaulted.

On arrival, a 33-year-old man was found with multiple serious injuries and taken to hospital for treatment.

Following investigations it was established the offenders had posed as police officers and pretended to arrest their victim before taking him away to a park in Whiston, where they began assaulting him. He was later taken a house where he was handcuffed to a chair, restrained and assaulted.

The ordeal was brought to an end when police raided the property. It had lasted around 18 hours, during which time the offenders attacked the victim with metal sticks, stabbing him and striking him with a machete. They also used an iron to burn their victim and had boiling water poured on him.

The victim sustained multiple injuries including burns, cuts, laceration sand a fractured arm.

At Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday 15 April, four males were jailed for their part in the incident.

David Lee Kelly, 28 years, of Gonville Road, Bootle was jailed for 14 years, four months for kidnap, false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent, as well as aggravated vehicle taking and dangerous driving.

John George Hayter, 41 years, of Woodhurst Close, Huyton was jailed for eight years, one month for false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Liam Anthony Field, 23 years, of Kevins Drive, Kirkby was jailed for 12 years, nine months for kidnap, false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

A 17-year-old male was sentenced to five years detention for false imprisonment and possession with intent to supply heroin and crack cocaine.

Detective Chief Inspector Ian Warlow said: "It is pleasing to know that these four males will now spend a long time behind bars, where they belong.

"This was a sickening, premediated and sustained assault that not only left the victim with multiple injuries all over his body, but would have been absolutely terrifying and the psychological scars will last a lifetime.

"The fact such a depraved attack was planned in such detail, and was done in an attempt to extract cash from the man’s loved ones, only makes it more shocking.

"I hope the jailing of these four males brings the victim and his loved ones some closure to this truly harrowing chapter in their lives, and they are able to move on as a family as best they can.

"I would like to thank the officers who put an end to the victim’s ordeal for their bravery and professionalism, and the detectives who investigated this incident and helped put the offenders behind bars. I would also like to thank the CPS for their support throughout this case."